Thursday, May 8, 2014

DIY Restoration Hardware Planter

Y'all.  I am tired.  So tired.  DIYed out.  I have so many projects going on that I can't really focus on one and the thought of starting another project makes me want to run away.  Sadly, I am also really cheap and need planters stat.

For Christmas, I bought Brian an avocado tree and I bought myself an orange tree at a local fruit tree sale.  Have y'all been to one?  Within 30 minutes everything was gone and I thought elderly people were going to start throwing bows.  It was intense.  Anyway, this was in January.  Our little trees are growing fast and are desperately in need of a larger home.

Here is the problem.  Planter pots are expensive.  Crazy expensive.  Even large terra cotta pots cost a lot for the size I need, and they are kind of ugly and not really the shape I want.  Attractive, large planters are usually $100+.  I can't.  I can't spend that much money on something that sits outside all day with dirt in it.  I can't.  Plus I need 5 of them.  $500+ for planters....no thank you.  I'd rather get roundtrip tickets to the Caribbean.

Then I found these beauties.  The Reclaimed French Oak Staccato Planters from Restoration Hardware.





In love.  Clean lines.  Simple but interesting. Square or rectangular shapes available.  LOVE.  Anything from Restoration Hardware is expensive but the price on these planters is crazy.  $420 for a small!  And that's on sale!  I can't.  So I decided to make my own.  Yes, another DIY project.  Luckily, this one is pretty simple.



Here are my planters.  I made them with 1" x 6"s.





The small at Restoration Hardware is 22"W x 22"D x 18"H cost $495 (regular price).

My planter is 21.75"W x 21.75"D x 17.5"T and the materials cost was about $25!

And you can make any size you want.  Use larger or smaller pieces of wood to get a different look.  Make them shorter or taller.  And I promise, it is not that labor intensive or difficult to do.

Here is another size I made for the front of our house.  For this one I used 2" x 4"s.  Here it is before stain.



It is 21.5"W x 11.5"D x 24"T and materials cost was about $20.

I have a few more to make but I am going to wait until I decide exactly where I want those plants.  Where they are on my deck or patio will decide the size of the planter.  My fruit trees will live on the new dock and the planter for the front, goes in between my garage doors.

I have so much more to tell you about these planters.  Details, tons of pictures and a tutorial will be on the blog tomorrow so check back.

 photo Signature_zps5473e161.png
 photo googleplustitanium_zps7c045137.png  photo rsstitanium_zps86d5562c.png  photo emailtitanium_zpsf8419ff0.png

Sharing at:

The Grits Blog,

3 comments:

  1. I love those and they look exactly like to expensive ones! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The product you have given here looks amazing. I would love to own this beautiful material.

    antique bell push
    antique brass flush pulls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! You have a great collection. These rattan garden furniture are awesome. garden furniture UAE

    ReplyDelete