Monday, September 16, 2013

Coastal Fabrics

Happy Monday!  Today I want to tell you about some beautiful fabrics and fabric websites I have discovered.

Over the past few months I have been on the hunt for great fabrics.  This is never an easy task.  There are not many fabric stores anymore.  Everyone knows about Joann Fabric, Hancock and if you're lucky, a Calico Corner is in your area.  Problem is, they all carry what I call generic fabrics.  Some of them are good quality and have pretty patterns but you see them everywhere.  I am always looking for different.  My goal was to find fabrics that coordinated but were not too match-matchy and were coastal but not too beachy. Blue, which happens to be both mine and Blittle's favorite color,  plays a huge part in our decor.  If you have ever been to the Caribbean or other tropical island you know that the shades of blue are endless.  It is amazing how many colors the ocean can be.  I have decided to focus on teal/turquiose and navy for our main living areas.  Pinterest played a huge part in my research but I also have been ripping out magazine pages with new fabric websites to check out.  I spent hours on the internet searching for the perfect patterns and colors.

 Here are some of the fabrics I have found and are considering for curtains, pillows, and cushion covers.







Anchors are one of my favorites.   I plan to use just a little of this 
fabric around the house since it is so busy.











I like this shell fabric but I am not sure if I am going to use it.  






This site was featured in Southern Living this month.  Lori Faison of Panama City, Florida, makes custom prints inspired by the Gulf of Mexico.  Her business is called Bolt House Textiles.  You can choose type of fabric, type of stitching, stitching color, print and color of print.  There are lighting shade options, pillow options or you can buy by the yard.   The Gulf of Mexico has a special place in my heart (I see it several times a week) and I love the fact these prints are inspired by it and will be in our home.  It is a little pricey but I plan on getting a few yards to make some pillows or maybe frame and use as art.  Here are a few of my favorite prints she has available.







All of these sites have many, many more fabrics to choose from.  I ordered samples from all of them except Bolt House Textiles to be sure of color, texture and quality.  Now I just have to decide on the type of curtains I want to make so I can start ordering yardage.  

KITCHEN UPDATE:  I start the backsplash this week.  Wish me luck and send a few prayers my way.  Thanks.



1 comment: